29 September 2005

must be the time of year

in an email written to friends in England.....

It was raining last night when I got home from visiting a friend. It was dark and the streetlights glowed orange on the wet road. I decided to take a walk and get totally dripping wet. I loved it.

Today, the weather is in the brisk 50's F (low teens C). There's a strong wind and the sun is out, but I feel the chill of autumn, and I smell the cold air smell that's been just a memory for several months now.


And my heart's been feeling little pangs lately, longings for that place in my memory where I feel cozy, wrapped around a cup of tea and enjoying the company of family (that I was not born into, but welcomed into).


For some reason in the past couple weeks and days, I've heard more from people in England, thought more about TCH family that still holds a dear place in my heart.

And, as a hopelessly numbers-filled mind, able to remember significant dates in my life, I remember that when tomorrow comes, September 30...it's been two years since I left here and returned to England for my "Extended" time. Two whole years?!

And I'm struggling here in good ol' Christian West Michigan, in a job where I sit at a desk all day staring at a computer rather than interacting with people, and hardly interact with any unchurched people, either because I don't have time or because the circles I'm in are all Christian, basically. And I'm enjoying my seminary classes because I'm growing and learning through them. But I'm restless. And I miss England. I haven't felt it this strong in awhile.


I made some "English" tea just a few minutes ago, and though the actual taste and smell are much different from how it is in England, a brief wafting of the smell brought memories of endless tea-drinking and fellowshipping to mind.

How do I know which direction my life should head? How do I make decisions? How do I get "wise counsel" from other Christians when everybody has a different idea of "wisdom"? How do I know when I'm just discontent and should stay put or when God is moving me to get up and go?

1 Comments:

At 29 September, 2005 16:33, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Time of year, huge part of it, I think. It's been almost a year since I was there, and the fall wind outside has me practically feeling the sensation of there being water boiling in the fast-boiling electric kettle, and crumpets toasting in the toaster, preparing to be spread with ASDA jelly. Mmmmmmmmmm...
Wonderful. Now I'm all primed for a snack that's impossible (or pretty darn difficult) to have here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home