in the name of sport
I'm vertically challenged. It's not so much of a big deal anymore, although it was when I was growing up (or rather, not growing much) because people used my height to make fun of me (it's not fun being called shorty or worse yet, a gnome...and if Lord of the Rings had been more popular in my circles, I would have been called a hobbit, though I take that as endearing now).In any case, it hurt.
But perhaps I vented my hurt into athletics, because I was pretty good at surprising people with my speed, scrappiness and agility...my smallness helped me come out of nowhere to steal away the ball and many have underestimated my tenacity, to their embarrassment.
I still got it.
I was recruited to play for the seminary intramural (indoor) soccer team because they needed more girls. I absolutely LOVE it and especially enjoy unexpectedly coming from behind and intercepting a pass. Fun! And I love it when macho guys don't expect so much intensity to come from little me, and I totally school them...hahaha. sigh... :-)
But I'm getting old.
I overextended my knee during Monday night's game (which we lost considerably, but it was still fun). So, I have been reminded of my finiteness, and am babying my sore knee, so that hopefully it will feel better by next Tuesday's game and I can kick some butt again!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home