12 September 2006

Chesterton says it well...in The Ball and the Cross

"But I admit that I know little of the details of your
belief - or disbelief," said McIan with his usual mildness.

Turnbull swung round quite suddenly, and set off
toward the village.

"Come along," he cried. "Come down to the village.
Come down to the nearest inhabitable pub. This is a
case for beer."

"I do not quite follow you," said the Highlander [McIan].

"Yes, you do," answered Turnbull. "You follow me slap
into the innparlour. I repeat, this is a case for beer.
We must have the whole of this matter out

thoroughly before we go a step farther. Do you know
that an idea has just struck me of great simplicity
and of some cogency. Do not by any means let us drop
our intentions of settling our differences with two
steel swords. But do you not think that with two
pewter pots we might do what we really have never
thought of doing yet - discover what our difference is?

"It never occurred to me before," answered MacIan
with tranquillity. "It is a good suggestion."

From GK Chesterton's The Ball and the Cross
Chapter VII. The Village of Grassley-in-the-Hole.
hat tip: my housemate Nutter, for sharing her lunchbreak reading
with me on this fine English-weather day

1 Comments:

At 21 September, 2006 11:05, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home