10 August 2006

dying of Thirst

Like cold water to a thirsty soul,
so is good news from a far country.
~ prov 25:25

My mobile phone rang today, showing a strange number. I answered it half-expecting to find out that it was not just a strange number but a stranger person on the line. But soon tears were flowing like cold water to one dying of thirst, for the one calling was not a stranger, but my dear friend Moriah using Skype all the way from a far country, India!

You see, it's been a couple of really rough weeks in terms of my spirit, felt as though I was on a mountain in England, lept off with the new wings of perspective I gained there, soared for a bit, but the wind ceased to blow and I've been falling and now crashed into a heap of mess, feel a hardness and bitterness encroaching on my hopes and dreams and heart...freaking out about that. Missing England but rejecting the idea that going back will be what makes me happy. And I want to be a happy person and make others happy...yet feel so full of the makings of unhappiness...and I know it's not "happiness" but "joy" that is ultimately what I desire...and I do want to be happy but mostly, I desire a greater stability in my spirit. Emotions will rise and fall, but I want a spirit that stays steady, firmly grounded in Truth.

And being able to talk through some of this with Moriah and having her wisdom and mutual understanding grip me by the heart and remind me of God's intimate care...it was beyond water to a thirsty soul. It was like reviving someone near death.

So often, I think I try to do things on my own (perhaps, it's simply a tendency of being single--free and independent and capable). But spiritually, time and time again, I realize that I just can't do anything! I go on about my days and can sometimes do well to remind myself of the Gospel, perhaps for a day, but I soon crash down in failure, for I do so much in my own power, and every time it falls short of what I need. hmmm, perhaps because I rely on my own spirit to sustain me, rather than The Spirit of God. Moriah reminded me not to forget God's Spirit, who never fails to be at work completing what He's started, that it doesn't depend on my effort but His, that He is so faithful and able to provide what I need to sustain my spirit.

So in my mess, I fall on the Spirit who knows me intimately and gives me all that I need, enabling me to bring Him glory in all of it, and therein is The Living Water to a thirsty soul, and Good News from The Far Country.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home