10 May 2005

planes trains and automobiles

I need a holiday. But I'm back at work having just returned from my holiday. It seems everything is spinning and I'm trying to gain my bearings again, and my body is screaming for sleep somewhere more comfortable than the cramped, unrestful seats of planes, trains and automobiles. I figured that my journey back from England took about about 29 hours in total...

Left Sheffield Sunday at 9:30pm England time (Michigan 4:30pm); Stayed with friends in Manchester who would take me to the airport at 4am for my 6am flight; slept about 3 hours at their house; flight to Amsterdam and layover - about 4 hours; flight to Chicago - 8 LONG hours where I only dozed off, the best thing was my friendly seatmates and Phantom of the Opera as the in flight movie blasting in my headphones!, landed at 12:30 Chicago time (1:30pm Michigan); customs and airport rigmarole - 1 hour; train to City - 1 hour; missed train I wanted by 5 minutes and had to wait another hour and a half for the next; train out to Michigan City - almost 2 hours; Mom and Dad picked me up and drove me home. Finally got to my apartment at 9pm Michigan time, took a quick shower, put a few things away and collapsed into bed at 9:30pm...

I think I like losing hours to a time change rather than gaining hours...it's so confusing to have to turn my mind backwards rather than forwards. I can easily skip a few hours and adjust, but to be stuck flying while time stands still almost, just makes me so tired. And so, I slept 11 hours last night and woke to my alarm telling me it's time to go to work. I only feel like I just woke up out of the daze, and yet my entire body and being craves more sleep.

Anyway, I'll stop complaining now, except to say, I've learned one thing: next time I go somewhere, I think I'll pay that extra bit and take another connecting flight to the GR airport, rather than trying to save a dime and instead making myself stressed and exhausted.

And the trip overall, was fantastic, very much enjoyed and just a great blessing and uplift to my heart. God did so many things to encourage, challenge, spur me on, and inspire me in the place He has me for now. And simply seeing the dear folk there was a great pleasure to my heart. One I will cherish and be able to mark as a significant moment/time in my journey "growing up" and adjusting to and figuring out life here.

Crazy enough, a few times while gone, I dreamt about work-related things! yikes! Those must have been times when things were crazy here and I was needed and missed (haha!). And God even did miracles to make me desire to come back and get back into the swing of life here, and be motivated a bit more for ministry and relationships here, and I don't mean the dreams were the miracles, that's just random subconscious stuff, but I mean discussions I had with people and ways God worked in my heart to build greater faithfulness and patience and maturity.

Good times. I'm glad I went. Glad I'm back home again. But glad too for the hope I have again for future and dreams and what God might yet do!

2 Comments:

At 11 May, 2005 08:56, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your IN FLIGHT MOVIE was PHANTOM??

That's stinkin' crazy. Yet another reason to be flying to England right now.

(Or I guess I could just rent it. But that's doing things the boring, easy way, isn't it?)

 
At 11 May, 2005 17:06, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice of you not to comment about your parents meeting you at the wrong railroad station. I learned to LISTEN when someone tells you what train they are taking and that there are more options than Amtrak!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home