cynicism, thankfulness and grace
"Some say that cynicism is rooted in pride," and if that is so, then thankfulness would be rooted in humility. This holiday season of Thanksgiving has been a deeper reminder of things that God's been trying to get at in my life, to change. It seems sermons and conversations and songs and Bible readings are filled with calls to thankfulness and praise. I can't just go on saying, "well that's nice, but it's not where I'm at." That's where I want to be! It's a unsightly trait I've picked up over the years: cynicism/negativity/criticism/skepticism...where in the world did it come from?Trying to dig around to find the roots exposes improperly dealt with pain, turned to bitterness...drat...but what is that now? "You give too much power to situations and happenings in life," I was admonished recently. "What makes you think it's our job to fix ourselves?" is a question that has stuck in my mind. And I'm learning about Grace, how it covers and restores and heals and washes...and old things can be let go of in light of the new day. God has given us today as a gift...we can allow ourselves to be held back by what has gone on before, or we can throw ourselves wholly into Grace and truly Trust that He can and does change the unsightly traits we see in ourselves. We don't have to stay the same; we don't have to be held back by life's painful situations and happenings. Grace. Grace. It really is amazing. And when we understand and accept and trust Grace, cynicism and pride melt into thankfulness and overwhelming praise. We know where we were before...without hope and without God in the world...and that makes the understanding of Grace and Thanks that much deeper...all things are new because He is making all things new, even right now.
And a Shane song to follow up these thoughts.......
beauty for ashes
by shane barnard and kendall combes
beauty for ashes
a garment of praise for my heaviness
beauty for ashes
take this heart of stone and make it Yours, Yours
I delight myself in the Richest of Fare
trading all that I've had for all that is better
a garment of praise for my heaviness
You are the greatest taste
You're the richest of fair
(Psalm 63, Isaiah 61)


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home