The Daffodil Stories...in commemoration of a year
written 14 April 2004Inspired by a quote from a Jones Soda top:
"When the daffodils bloom, so will great joy in your life."
Spring was in the air, and it was only mid-February. The signs of new life began to peek from the grass, still chilled after winter. I could see the stems of flowers growing daily as I walked through the edge park. The mornings had a freshness, winter's chill but spring's hope. Sunny days intermittent with rain caused the flowers to grow more quickly, and soon the yellow of new daffodils dotted the landscapes. It was excitement to me, and the joy of spring filled my heart.
Another thing filled my heart in the early blooms of spring; his name was Paul. With a smile that glowed like the sunshine and eyes as blue as a cloudless day, he sprung into my heart like the day when the daffodils opened for the first time. As a friend, he warmed my heart and cheered the wintry coldness from my face, creating laughter and life and smiles to last forever. It was excitement to me, and the joy of love filled my heart.
As the daffodils soon burst into their full glory of spring, the love I had felt growing for Paul seemed to burst forth from me, and together we found ourselves swept into the magic of blooming love. With great joy and fullness of heart, we talked and walked along together, hand in hand, through the daffodil-covered parks, along the river, in the ruins of castles and cathedrals, creating memories filled with laughter and happiness and love. The daffodils were blooming, and so was great joy in my life.
One day walking along by myself, I saw a beautiful daffodil trampled underfoot, its stem snapped at the base, the bright petals doomed to fade and wilt. I picked it up and took it home to enjoy its magical beauty. In a rush I neglected to put it in a vase, instead leaving it on my windowsill where I had held it looking out on the city and valley below. A few days later I saw the shriveled flower lying where I had left it and felt a sadness in throwing it away. Somehow it felt like I was throwing away something of great joy and gladness, and that it couldn't last saddened my heart.
Plans were made and I set out at the height of spring for journeys abroad, excitement of travel and new things urging me onward. No fear had I of my new-found love, for it was so alive and bright and growing. But between journeys was a hasty stop home, with no time for needed communication, and in my absence much faded. Upon returning, I found Paul's love had wilted, and the great joy and gladness once present seemed to flow away down the river we once walked past together, that now we sat near, apart. I noticed that daffodils had begun to die, and my heart saddened with the loss, of the daffodils and of love.
I had thought the "great joy" blooming amidst the daffodils was Paul's love, but I was mistaken. For you see, in all of this, there is yet another Character. The Creator and Painter of the daffodils. The Author of the stories of our lives. The Director of times and seasons, of hearts and minds. In the blooming months of spring, it was His hand that drew me ever towards Him, His love that was wooing and winning me, His heart that called to me to tell me I am His beloved, His arms that hold me now, as the daffodils die and love flows away. His love has not changed, and will not, for it is unfailing and perfect, and all for me! What love is this! How have I not known or understood it like this before? All this time, all these years, seasons have come and gone, years passed into history, and yet this most magical flower of my God's love has never wilted or faded with my neglect. Who am I? Who is HE?
I had thought the "great joy" blooming was love in my life, and it was, but not in the sense most understand. For as I see the daffodils now, I think of the great Joy that will never die, the great joy of knowing and being known, loving and being loved, by my God, my Creator, my Saviour, my King.
"This is love: not that we loved God, but that He loved us..."


1 Comments:
BEAUTIFUL!!!!!
Post a Comment
<< Home