01 April 2005

When missionaries are killed

It always breaks my heart when I hear of missionaries and Christians killed around the world. It makes me think "Why God? They're serving You and bringing Your light and Truth and hope - the GOSPEL - to people desperately needing to hear it."

Well, it struck closer to home this time. I heard news yesterday of my second cousins (on my dad's side), Richard and Charlene Hicks, working with Wycliffe/SIL in Guyana, South America. They were killed Wednesday of this week. Investigations are taking place to determine why.

I didn't know them very well, but I remember meeting them when I was a kid, probably just before they went to the field. I think the memory stuck with me because I found in very intriguing that she was so much older than him. :-) But they loved Jesus and gave their lives for Him, faithfully finishing out their days working on a translation of the Wapishana language, so those people could read God's Word in their own heart language.

It saddens me, and feels very strange, because in my job, we report on missionary happenings around the world. And this is family. I'm not in deep grief, more shock and wonder because I know those people who's picture is up on the web, in the news. Who will take their place? So many people groups without Scripture in their languages. So many people around the world cut off from the Truth and Salvation of Christ Jesus. May the Lord raise up more workers for the harvest fields...may I be one of them.

And I reminded and challenged to live my life in such a way as they did - taking risks for Christ's Name and His Kingdom, giving all I have for the sake of the Gospel, getting outside my "comfort zone" and living an abundant life following Jesus wherever He leads, being ready and willing to lay down my life for the Gospel.

Do pray for my grandmother's sister-in-law Evelyn, whose husband recently passed away, and whose other son Danny is also a missionary. Mourn the earthly loss of faithful Christian workers; Rejoice that they are now with the Lord.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home