17 February 2006

jazz in my blood


There is something about jazz music that transports me and transfixes me. The crooners wail their magic while my thoughts melt into a very mellow and smooth mood. Makes me feel like smiling and dancing.

A vivid memory in my mind...it must be almost 15 years ago...at my grandparents' house...my Grandpa Fraser put in some 8 tracks of Frank Sinatra and taught me how to dance to his music. I think his soul and the soundtrack of his mind always had jazz music playing. His outlook on life and his loving, positive, smooth and magical personality could be summarized in jazz. Some of my favorite memories with my Grandpa include music, dancing, laughing and singing. And those things just aren't the same anymore. Sometimes I wish I could turn back time and recapture things I forgot to cherish when he was around. Sometimes I sit and hold tightly to those memories that are most clear, like in this picture, dancing to 'Unforgettable' at Linda and Al's wedding in 2001.

But listening to a little Harry Connick Jr today conjures up memories stored away and wisks me away to a time and place where I hear my Grandpa's voice and laughter and feel a happiness in being able to appreciate his music, and so feel closer to him.

4 Comments:

At 17 February, 2006 15:47, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Faith:
You have surely captured Morley and his positive personality and love for music. He did love jazz. He loved inter-acting with people, like you (it must be in the genes).
So many people say, "Oh-we miss Morley," but at least they had the opportunity to be touched and motivated by him.
Glad you have a free weekend. I love staying home and relaxing.
You are the BEST!
Love, G-Ma F

 
At 19 February, 2006 08:29, Blogger Ellen said...

"The crooners wail their magic".... Wow, that is poetry! I love it. I never knew either of my grandpas. I'm glad you have these special memories of yours!
Blessings. Ellen

 
At 20 February, 2006 10:39, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah... of course you can come and visit! :)

 
At 20 February, 2006 12:04, Anonymous Anonymous said...

FR! You rock, FR. It makes me happy that you like Frank Sinatra and jazz...I have to say I do too! Isn't it cool how songs and music can make memories so vivid?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home