of contemplation
How easy it is for me to contemplate myself and how easily distorted my view of myself can become. Two quotes I heard/saw recently draw me back to Christ and setting my mind on things above:
- "Too little contemplation of God will lead to too much contemplation about self." ~ Pastor Mark Shaw
- "As with Luther and Wesley, there was little peace or joy in the struggle as he oscillated between presumption...and despair...He later realised that both the presumption and the despair have one root cause: looking to oneself instead of to Christ." ~ from The Saint Andrews Seven
So this is my aim today--even as I find myself drawn to contemplate myself--to search out Truths about Christ my Lord, to look to Him for wisdom, understanding, help and to change me.
3 Comments:
Great quotes! Very convicting! Painfully accurate, too. Whenever I've walked away from God I've become very self-absorbed and self-centered. I'll have to put that book on my "next to read" list. May God bless you in your aim.
Sidenote: I watched some of ROTK the other day.
"Fool! No man can kill me!"
"I am no man! Aaah!"
hey im back on the internet @ home. im very encoureged by the thing im reading the son is great. ive got it going through my head. Al
This is one of your best contemplations ever.
Love you.
Post a Comment
<< Home